Monday, June 25, 2007

Now it's real

It's been a busy couple of weeks. My mom and I got here almost two weeks ago and spent the first 1.5 weeks getting things set up, furniture delivered, unpacking, etc.. My dad got here at the end of our first week, and TCH touched down in San Francisco on Saturday around noon.

Since the guys arrived, we've done more sightseeing - walked across the Golden Gate Bridge with my dad, and then yesterday we went to see ancient redwood trees at Muir Woods, then to the windiest point on the Pacific coast at Point Reyes National Seashore (see pic). Both were fantastic, and within a 45-60 minute drive from San Francisco. Having such huge and awesome nature experiences so close at hand is pretty different from being in Boston. Very exciting!


However, the hard part of moving out here just started: my parents left last night to go home to Vermont. It was really nice having them here for the startup phase, though in some ways it kind of just postponed the inevitable. Now it's just TCH and me here in San Francisco, starting our Big Adventure Together. This means that as of today, there is exactly one person in San Francisco who understands who I am and why I am that way! My local-friendless state is temporary, sure, but it's a little weird.
In a fit of desperation last night, I logged on to Facebook and searched to see if any of my college classmates are here in SF. I recognized one person. Hmm...next idea?

In truth, I do have some plans to get in touch with, or stay in touch with, people I know who are here in the Bay Area. A high school classmate is in SF, and a recent coworker is also moving here this summer. She and I already have plans to get together, and I'm sure I'll be able to scare up some people to get dinner or drinks with, or go for a hike, or whatever. Also, most of the people who move into my apartment complex each year do so within the next couple of weeks, so there are lots of newbies to meet. There's even a summer kick-off party on Thursday for people to get to know each other.

I expect I'll get to know some people soon - and I'm enjoying my time settling in - but right now, I still feel a little unmoored.

No comments: